Piano Replacement Insurance

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:04:52 -0400

I have a client that wants me to write a damage estimate for a storm-damaged piano (tree fell through roof and hit corner of piano - only a small crater easily visible in photo). It is an old no-name upright (Cable, I think) that appears to have been in better-than-average condition. The case reportedly has a couple cracks in it and the neighbor says the soundboard has separated (I cannot go in house because of physical dangers/insurance).

Now, the bottom line is easy: the piano had a maximum pre-damage worth of $1,000 (really less, I know). It needs to be refinished, plus some repairs. Damage easily exceeds value. Piano is a total loss. OK. No problem with that.

However, the owners the type of insurance that many have (including me!): replacement insurance. If my 10-year old TV or couch gets stolen or an elephant steps on it, my insurance will pay for a new item of similar type - regardless of what its current value might have been.

This dude bought an old upright for a few hundred bucks, it got hit by a tree, and now he has ordered a new Mason & Hamlin 50 upright piano as the replacement. I can word a statement very carefully and put in the appropriate disclaimers, but still I feel less than comfortable doing anything with this situation. I don't know that anything illegal is going on here, but boy, it sure doesn't feel very good.........  Any thoughts?

Terry Farrell