Cleaning keys / bare wood

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:00:58 -0700 (PDT)

    Actually,after consideration, I guess the best way
to proceed would be to remove the wippens, swish hem
around in Super Clean ( this would immediately remove
the grossest stuff ) then let them sit in the shade
for a few minutes before rinsing to remove remaining
slime and old action felts. Then place them on a
screen in the sun to dry, flipping regularly.  Fans
blowing on them speeds up the process. I know this
sounds ridiculous, but I do a lot of old players, and
little is more disheartening than, after 100's of
restoration hours, reasembling the thing with shiny
new parts.......and stinking, filthy old wippens!
     I think I've borne enough ridicule on this
subject, so please, everyone, go to Pep Boys, buy a
quart of Superclean ( about 6 bucks )swish a wippen in
it, rinse, dry, refelt, lube centers and test. See for
yourselves.
     Thanks.
     To Stinkless Pianos  Everywhere
     Thump