Damper Wire Screws

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:26:44 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gordon Holley" <gholley@hi-techhousing.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 11:59 AM
Subject: Damper Wire Screws

> List.  I am in need of a few (4) damper lifter wire screws for a
> Starr 5' Grand, 1936.  Have tried most local hardward stores, Ace,
> Lowes, a couple speciality fastener suppliers, etc. and basically the
> same results.  Nothing!.
> This screw is brass and screws into a brass barrel nut in the damper
> lifter flange.  Bob Davis - you'll remember this. The screw diameter
> is .095, screw length is 8.732 mm, thread length is 7.144 mm.  The
> thread gauge is metric and neither I nor any store had a metric
> thread gauge.
> So hopefully with what I can give you may help, especially if someone
> has an old action laying around.
> What I have found is a .097 diameter screw, however the additional
> .002 in diameter will not allow the screw to be threaded into the
> barrel nut.
> The screws for the newer actions, i.e. C. Walter Piano Co, grands,
> won't work, too short and wrong dia.
> Dave at Schaff is helping to look for this screw.
> Any assistance on this search would be greatly appreciated.
> Regards, Gordon Holley, Goshen, "Back Home Again In Indiana"

Gordon,  I know I got some but can't find them.  They aren't where I thought, now I don't have a clue.  I got them from
Steinway a long time ago.

Try this.  Use another screw to pull the barrel out of enough lifters and then drill and tap for 4-40 threads. the diameter of a 4-40 screw is only about .110.  Use the top or bottom four. And use a Phillips screw so it will be obvious to the next guy that it is non standard.  I think that will work

.Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@attbi.com

Born and fetched up in se Indiana