May the 4ths be with you

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:34:07 -0700

>> Yowee zowee, Ric.......that is SO cool: we're both right.
>> I appreciate your effort on this, and your passion about tuning......
>> David A
>
>Thanks in return Dave... you through me a loop with that steady 4ths
>thing... just never thought about it and took it for granted that of
>course they should get progressively faster. And maybe they do to some
>small degree on some pianos. I suppose I shoulda thought about this given
>that I already have run into that 5ths can go from narrow to wide as you
>get up there in the treble.
>
>Rick Baldersins book "On Pitch!" has this neat explanation of what
>happens to differing octave types if you decide to hold one type at a
>constant beat rate.  I want to also find out  what happens to differing
>intervals and their types when any particular interval type is held
>constant.  I suppose we really should know all this stuff in and out when
>it comes down to it. Like this 12ths tuning,,,,, I should already know
>exactly how the beat rates of all the basic intervals and their types
>develope up and down the scale.... but noooooo...grin.. I gotta scratch
>my head and get headaches and sit and try and get Excel to cooperate and
>the like.
>
>Ah well... a little bit more every day. Thanks again for jarring me
>around Dave.
Hey:  it's no problem, Ric; Danes can jar Norwegians at a moment's notice.

This is a great, great list; such a spirit of intelligent giving; of
people really taking a shot at doing their best; of respectful back and
forth.

Our current discussion and its mutant branches have spurred me to
work to rationally observe and document what I do when I tune a
piano....how to communicate the incredible tools I've stumbled onto in my
craftsman's journey into the sonic bubble of a good piano.

Getting feedback from you, Servinsky, Bremmer, Kline, Nossaman and others
has inspired me to try
new things (single mute tuning), really think in a different way about
how I naturally, by ear, tune a piano.  I'd love to have an into-it ETD
guy who's also a passionate aural tuner take readings on my tuning; I was
resistant to that before this moment (due to fear, probably, and my
neo-Luddite tendencies in certain areas) but now it seems like a
fascinating idea.  Thank you all for being my teachers.

Best to all.......David Andersen