May the 4ths be with you

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:27:27 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>

>Dr Sanderson did say right out that inharmonicity changes the
> theoretical picture relative to 5ths and 4ths... which should
also
> have their contiguous relationships.

I think inharmonicity facilitatates the tuning of ET on modern
pianos.
It seems at least in theory to give a 'natural" stretch to the
octaves. That is if the upper partials of the lower notes are
sharper than the lower upper partials of the upper note in all the
intervals being tuned.

> This goes back to what I tried to say to David Andersen about
the
> whole definition of ET being really quite impossible to
implement on
> the piano. Inharmonicity precludes that, and we are left with an
ET
> adjusted for inharmonicity which essentially breaks some of the
rules
> for what an ET is.

I would say in spite of inharmonicity it can be demonstrated the
beat rates follow closely the theoretical.   In fact so closely
that an anomaly usually indicates a mistake on the part of the
tuner rather than the piano maker.
Aural tuning is much like live performance, mistakes will be made,
no two will be exactly alike and but for a rare magical few most
can be improved on.  But I bet if performers knew the checks we
have to prevent error they would be envious.     ---ricm