Unison Flatter than each Individual string?

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 05:17:23 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 12:39 AM
Subject: Re: Unison Flatter than each Individual string?

> >Is this not archaic?  With a ETD you tune the note until the
> >lights/pattern stops and you have and absolute A440 or whatever pitch you
> >want in a few moments.  Is this ETD tuned note any less of a tuned
> >note?  I got to feel there's a lot of ego involved in tuning aurally with
> >a tuning fork...that and masochism...
> >
> >David I.

I would prefer the term "artistic expression".  It's analogous to the
intensity that an artist brings to the stage.
He/she is in complete control of this ancient art.  Don't get me wrong  I
LOVE ETDs. They have made many of days tolerable and saved my butt on many
of occasions.  ETDs have also made me a better tuner...without question.
But more and more I find myself truly enjoying the artistic end of the
business when I am the sole thinker in this project.  Even many of the
recordings I have been involved with through the years I tend to enjoy the
ones  I did completely aurally more so than the ones I used the Accutuner
with.  Not that one was necessarily better than the others. There's just a
high sense of satisfaction knowing I that I had arrived at that tuning on
that given day and not the computer.
Tom Servinsky, RPT