Pitch Raises ... Overpull Percentage

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 06:57:33 -0400

Conrad Hoffsommer asks:

 >For the benefit of newbies and non-ETD users, could you review just what
 >that is 20%/25%/30% OF?
 >I think I know, but I get confused ezee...

The question is a good one.  Different ETDs apply the 20%/25%/30% to
different things.  I think the SAT applies the percentage to the flatness
of a single note.  You can periodically measure a new note as you tune so
as to update what the percentage applies to, but it is still one
note.  TuneLab and the RCT both measure every note before it is
tuned.  They use running averages to determine the flatness of the region
of the piano where you are tuning, and apply the overpull percentage to
that running average.  I think RCT uses what is sometimes called a "boxcar"
average, which is an ordinary average of the last few notes.  TuneLab uses
a declining weight average to estimate the flatness of the piano where you
are tuning.  A weighted average gives more weight to the more recent notes
and less and less weight to notes that are more distant from where you are
tuning, in order to form the average.  In any case, however it is
determined, the overpull percentage is applied to the flatness of the
piano, and then the result is added on to the target pitch for the note you
are about to tune.  For example, if the measurements say the piano (or the
region where you are tuning) is 40 cents flat, and the overpull percentage
is 25%, then the ETD will set a target pitch that is 10 cents higher than
normal, in anticipation of the pitch falling that 10 cents by the time you
finishing tuning the whole piano.

-Robert Scott
  Real-Time Specialties