Walter purchases Langer Actions

LarryinAtlanta@AOL.COM LarryinAtlanta@AOL.COM
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:27:02 EDT

In a message dated 8/23/02 10:10:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

> Aside from the obvious perpetuation of the myth that somehow 'handcrafting'
> a piano action gives it mythical powers, it implies that Bosendorfer used
> Langer actions. While It doesn't actually make this claim, I'd wager that
> most uninformed readers would make this leap.
>
> The real beauty of the piece, though, is found in the last sentence: "This
> acquisition gives Walter total control over the quality of the actions, and
> makes them the only premium piano maker to own and control their own action
> supplier." Apparently the writer hasn't heard of such little known piano
> makers as Steinway, Yamaha, Kawai, Samick, some assorted Chinese
> manufacturers, etc. Even limiting the list to 'premium' piano makers still
> leaves a few. Ah well....
>
> Del

I guess I need to give everyone the background on this. The fact that Walter
bought Langer is true of course. That said, the rest of it was written to
make a point on another messageboard. That board had just gone through a
siege if you will, of a couple of Young Chang salesmen trying to claim YC
pianos were "hand built", comparing them to Steinway because JP used to work
at Steinway, etc. Every post they wrote read just as warped as the one quoted
above that I wrote. One salesman in particular was extremely slick at wording
statements very subtley to make the reader draw conclusions he wanted but
without ever actually saying it, just implying things that caused a leap of
logic, such as the one in my post quoted above that was designed to make the
uninformed reader assume that Bosendorfer used Langer actions. His constant
posting of slanted and incorrect information was causing great confusion
among the members of the board, mostly made up of people shopping for a piano
trying to find information.

The post I wrote quoted above was done to show those uninformed readers just
how misleading sales spin can be written, or said on the sales floor. It was
written to read about this issue in the style the YC was being presented to
them by the other salesman. Mr, Bremmer didn't copy the post right after that
one where it was explained to the readers how to decipher the sales spin in
the post, and where the true facts were given. I don't fault him for that,
but I felt I must explain it so no one here, in the absense of the context in
which it was written being included also, will think I meant any of that
stuff. I am fully aware that it was all pure spin, lies, and
misrepresentations. That was the point. By doing it this way, and then in the
very next post explaining where the spin and incorrect information is in the
post, readers of that board learned a little about the kind of spin they were
being fed. And yes, I know about all those makers Del, and that the statement
in the last sentence was a blatant lie.

I hope that explains the reason the post was written the way it was.

Larry Fletcher
Atlanta Chapter