4:5 Ratio of Contiguous 3rds

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 00:14:03 -0700

> Each of the above conditions can exist when
>there is only a very small error, the kind which may not be easily perceived
>when only listening to 4ths & 5ths or even playing chromatic 3rds listening
>for "smoothness".

Contiguous 3rds are a fabulous check, no question.  However, for me,
listening to the fourths and fifths in a patient way is an incredibly
precise way to get there. As a game, I often  tune my temperament using
one 3rd test, and then only use fourths and fifths to finish.  Many
times, all the 3rd checks work out "perfectly."  I'm trusting my ears
more and more.

I'm very, very interested in hearing you tune a good piano, Bill.

I, too, spent time in the early '80's with Bill Garlick.  What a guy.  A
true master.

Best to you.......David Andersen