Transposing Piano

Ron Overs ron@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:49:54 +1000

Hi all,

In a message dated 8/23/02 4:36:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

>I have a customer with an Ibach Transposing Piano.  I haven't seen
>it yet.  What is it and basically, how does it work.

These Ibach transposers are interesting. The one in Sydney we
maintain is owned by the Faber-Castell family (of pencil fame).

There is a lever under the keyboard (under the treble end) which is
depressed then shifted to a new position to relocate the rest
position of the action (to select the desired key). When the 'shift'
lever is first depressed, it lifts the damper tray to avoid damper
lever damage when the action is shifted.

The one we maintain, when at the 'key of C' position, has a standard
compass from A1 to A 85. The 'key position' can be adjusted four
semitones up and down from the C position. So the lowest note in the
bass is the F below A1 while the highest in the treble is C88. There
are extra notes either side of the bass/treble break which are
required when the action is shifted from the standard 'key of C'
position. The plate is made with a capo bar which extends through the
entire compass of the instrument, inverted agraffes are inserted into
the capo to enable the string positions to be evenly spaced from the
bass/treble break to the very highest note. The plate struts are
quite elevated to allow for the strings to be located under the
struts where necessary.

Tuning these instruments is an interesting exercise, since the
'scale' is laid in the C position, then as the bass/treble break is
approached one needs to 'change gears' to the lowest key to tune all
strings in the tenor. Once the tenor is tuned one has to 'change
gears' again to the highest key, to tune the highest notes in the
bass section. Then 'low gear' needs to be found again the lowest
notes in the bass.

All in all, these 'formula 1' style tunings should attract a higher
fee. But then again, it makes a tuning day a little more interesting
than usual.

Best regards,
Ron O.
--