Mystery Tool(s) - Sunday

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 10:21:42 -0700

Well, it's Sunday. And, as I promised the answer is coming.
First, a little background. (And, I'm hoping this gets through, as I've sent
several clues, etc., that didn't seem to get to the "Digest"...selective
editing on someone's part?) <G>
Part of rebuilding is the cosmetics, ie make it pretty and take care of the
details. Part of that is the agraffes. I must say to Roger, you were close.
<G> When I do a restringing, one of the most important things is string
termination. Agraffes are a major part of this. Many will replace the
agraffes with new ones. I have not found the new ones to be any more
superior to the existing ones, when they are properly redone. Hence, the
"Mystery Tool(s).
First, I dip the agraffes in paint stripper to get the overspray, etc., off.
Next, is a bath in "Tarnex" with a good scrubbing, rinsing and drying. The
next procedure involves buffing the agraffes to a beautiful golden shine.
That is what the "Mystery Tool(s)" are for. Holding the agraffes between
fingers, to buff, is difficult, painful and down-right annoying. In the
evolution of this tool, we tried making handles out of pinblock material
with snug holes to hold the threaded stem of the agraffe. These worked, but
wore out quickly. I found myself making numerous "handles" for buffing. Time
waster!
So, (if you've been following the thread), I made them out of bolts. Turned
them on my drill press to the proper dimension and threaded them for the
proper thread/diameter agraffe(s).
They really work well and save time. (not to mention lessen the pain and
frustration of chasing errant agraffes propelled by the buffer, to god knows
where in the shop!)
I will send a scan of each of the tools in their total configuration after
this message. (I'm going to wait until I see this on the Digest)
So, no one won the "used pinblock of their choice", but I enjoyed myself,
tantalizing you all. <G> Please feel free to copy these tools for your
personal use. (If I see one in a catalog, I will sue them! I've already been
ripped off by our "suppliers" copying something of mine!)
I hope I haven't annoyed too many with this bit of tom-foolery.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)