Valuation

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:03:26 -0700

Hello,

These pianos are very fascinating instruments and are continually
becoming more rare.  It is very sad and disgusting when techs or dealers
looking to "make a quick dollar" gut the player system.  They themselves
have no appreciation for them, a very selfish attitude.  Only a tiny
percentage of them have survived to this point, thousands were gutted in
the post war era and are now gone forever.  The more common upright
pumper players are disappearing at an even faster rate.  It will be a
sad day when technicians stand around at PTG conventions and say:
 "Remember those old players we used to see?  Boy I'd sure like to get
my hands on one of those again.  Too bad I destroyed a dozen of them
earlier in my career".

All that aside, the piano you have is one of the lesser valued because
of the piano itself.  The most desired AMPICO players where installed in
Knabes, Mason & Hamlins, and some Chickerings.  Fisher was an
introductory model purchased by more middle income families.
 Nevertheless it should be treated with the antique respect that it
deserves.

It is unjust to try and value the instrument at $2,500.00 "without the
player".  In reference to the above the value should be reflected as a
total unit.  Also, the fact that the player had been "re-whatevered in
1978" means nothing.  That was 24 years ago and by now the pneumatic
cloth is probably aging enough that it should be replaced again anyway,
(a very big job).  Furthermore, the idea that the player was rebuilt
should also be speculative.  There are many "teknishuns" out there who
call themselves rebuilders.  Replacing the tubing and patching a few
leaks does not constitute rebuilding.  Unfortunately few consumers know
the difference.  The system may have been rebuilt or maybe not and
either way that was a long time ago   Players can still play and not be
working correctly.  This is especially true with players of this type
with expression controls that must be rebuilt and adjusted to exacting
standards to perform as they should.  Also- a player can only play as
good as the the piano.  If the action is worn out, dead strings, etc,
etc, then the piano needs to be rebuilt.  This is a major consideration
when determining value.  Again if the piano was "rebuilt" you need to
determine if it really was.  Even so that was 24 years ago and no-longer
means much.  Based on your description I would speculate that it was not.

In determining the value without personally inspecting it and based on
the quality (brand) of the piano, and the likely need of a complete
restoration of both the piano AND the player, I would place an estimate
of between +/- $3,500 and $6,000, leaning probably more toward the
lesser number.  Keep in mind that a complete restoration of the piano
would probably cost between $10,000 and $12,000 and you can add another
$3,000 .00 to $4,000.00 on top of that for the player, (assuming that
the former "rebuilder" didn't damage anything and all the parts are
present).  The future owner would have to foot the bill for this.  My
point is don't get piggy, sell it for a fair and honest price.  Gouging
someone is more likely to seal the fate of the piano since it will
probably wind up at a dealer who got stung with it as a trade in and
will ultimately gut it for that quick buck to get it off the sales floor.

As others have suggested, you might want to get on the MMD and consult
enthusiasts there for a buyer.  Visit:  http://mmd.foxtail.com/

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

Based