how many pianos...?

philromano@attglobal.net philromano@attglobal.net
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:05:56 -0400

  > Can anyone tell me, appoximately, how many acoustic pianos Yamaha =
produces=20
  >  for the world market each year? And, is it true that Steinway takes =
nearly=20
  a=20
  >=20
  >  whole year to build just ONE D? thanks!

  Will be interested in the Yamaha data myself, but can help w/the =
Steinway.=20
  Steinway grands take roughly 11 months to get through the whole =
process and=20
  out the door. That includes a couple of months for the rim to cure =
before=20
  being spread apart for the pinblock/cornice to be inserted. They build =
about=20
  2,000/year in NY, and I think a similar # in Hamburg, but I'm less =
sure of=20
  that.
  Bob Davis

  And Bob should know, having just spent a week at S&S NY slaving over a =
hot back action in the Damper Class (Hi Bob!).
  I think the Yammies make about 500K/year for worldwide consumption! =
That may have come down a little but that is the number I recall being =
given at the last class I took from Yamaha.

  Phil Romano
  Myrtle Beach, SC