how many pianos...?

Charles E Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:47:42 -0500

There are probably multiple answers to the question of time elapsed when
building pianos. If one considers the time spent from the delivery of the
first pallets of raw lumber to the final registration of the completed
piano, you could be looking at a year in production. And, if Steinway
still air dries its soft woods, you could be looking at an even longer
time.

My experience was with Baldwin's manufacturing processes. Here are some
breakdowns on times:

Kiln drying of raw lumber - two to three weeks
Rim pressing and curing - perhaps four weeks
Machining and assembling of the rim - two to three weeks
Machining and assembling the other wooden parts (lids, fallboards,
bridges, etc.) - around four weeks

These last three operations would , of course, be going on
simultaneously.

By the time the components reached the assembly plant where I worked, we
could complete a small grand usually in the space of perhaps 30 working
days - that's about two months in real time. What really suffers when
you're going that fast is the cure time on the finish.

The concert pianos are processed differently and could take around 60
working days to complete. The real time elapsed would be somewhere in the
neighborhood of 6 months if you count the conditioning of the
soundboards.

One interesting bit ... by the time I left Baldwin in the late eighties,
the total assembly time on the vertical pianos in Trumann, Arkansas was
around 13 hours!

Sorry, probably more information than you really wanted.

Regards,

Charles Faulk
Manhattan, KS

> > Can anyone tell me, appoximately, how many acoustic pianos Yamaha
> produces
> > for the world market each year? And, is it true that Steinway
> takes nearly a
> > whole year to build just ONE D? thanks!
> >

> > Terry Peterson

> > Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device:
> http://mobile.msn.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.