May the 4ths be with you

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:01:18 EDT

Keith writes:

> I find that in listening to recordings I notice no (or very
>little, unless its a very extreme temperament) difference when different
>temperaments are used ( I have Ed Footes recordings). But when playing
>I notice a great difference, especially when a third or tenth is exposed.

     I have heard and seen this before. It is common for the pianist to be
more affected by the change of temperament than the audience, (though, with a
little introduction, most in the audience do feel a heightened musical
involvement).

>When I come across a chord resolving to a third that beats slower I find
>that it's a great relief after years of listening to fast beating thirds.
>I think that I have a tendency to let the chord sound a little longer and
>this affects the interpretation of the music.

   This became evident when Enid Katahn played the Mozart Fantasie on our 6
Degrees recording,  the MT and WT were both within 1 second of each other,(
5' 54" and 5' 53") but the ET version was a full 12 seconds FASTER!  I asked
her about it later and Enid, upon listening, felt that there were no points
of rest that called for more of a musical pause.
   Temperament can alter the interpretation, I see it do this a lot.  Rarely
is it a liability.
Regards,
Ed Foote