how many pianos...?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:27:39 -0500

>That's a matter of stabilizing it dimensionally before they do any
>critical machining on it. It's not that the casting actually shrinks
>during this cure time, it's the warpage. Machine tools also need to be
>free of the warpage which result from the internal stresses relieving
>themselves, before you can start milling and grinding the reference and
>working surfaces into them.
>
>But I'd never heard that the cast iron pickled up strength. Only that any
>close tolerance work you might do on them would be wasted while they
>continue to warp. Sort of like expecting to do a concert grade tuning on
>fresh wire barely chipped that afternoon.
>
>Bill Ballard RPT

Like reaction wood, that is nice and straight until you rip it, then curls
like crazy. I presume we're talking about months after it's cooled from
casting and just lying around de-stressing. So the presumption is an
internal creep, that stabilizes it after a time? S&S plates that have been
lagged to the rims for a hundred years still spring up when you pull the
lags - sometimes quite a bit. I'd understood the long cure time was to
minimize the possibility of cracking under load in areas that shrink at
different rates and in different directions during cooling. Again, a sort
of long term internal creep. Seems like something that's been done for a
thousand years would be easier to get clarification on.

Ron N