Selling WT (was Temp. comparisons:)

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 19:20:54 -0700

Personally I am very intrigued and excited by the sound and feel of WTs. I
purchased the "6 degrees" CD and was very moved by it.

As I have mentioned in the past, I am just starting to tune again after a
lapse of years, and as I am a fulltime training manager at a bank, I only
have a little time to do it. I have a summer place on Orcas Island in the
San Juans, and have struck up a friendship with a pianist/performer who has
several of his own CDs out and plays regularly at the Rosario Resort. I have
been trying to get him interested in historic temperaments, because I
believe his style of music (tapestries of sound largely in the natural keys)
will benefit from a gentle WT.

He recently hired me to tune the 1900 Steinway in this resort's performance
hall. A week before the tuning, I lent him the "Six Degrees" CD and asked
him to listen to it and then tell me what he thought. (Of course, I expected
him to like what he heard.) But his reaction was quite different. It made
him shudder. He found it weird, strange, uncomfortable, and he earnestly
asked me to just tune the piano with a normal ET.

So I promised not to mention it again (he visibly relaxed) ... but I said
that I will one day tune a piano on the island in one of these temperaments
that I think he will like, and I will arrange for him to come play it for an
hour.

He loved the ET I did; commented to me that he is lingering longer on chords
as he enjoys the harmonics.

My take-away from this experience is that the Six Degrees CD is too extreme
to use as a "lure" to WT. Maybe the choice of the Mozart Fantasie is too
brooding, and its repetition three times in three different temperaments is
too much. Not sure. But I won't use *that* again.

jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799