May the 4ths be with you

Keith Jones kjones@well.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 20:06:27 -0700

Rick,
Well, obviously the problem is that you're playing the WRONG music. Judy
Collins???
I'm more of a Petula Clark fan myself. But seriously, I had my piano tuned
to a Young's Temperament for quite awhile and really enjoyed the variety of
sounds, mostly the thirds of course. I have the feeling that the composers
from before 1900 were aware of the colors of the keys and were quite crafty
about exploiting the potential of both the more consonant and the more
dissonant keys. The music I like to read through is mostly Bach, Beethoven,
Schumann, Schubert the usual suspects. Try the first chords of The G major
Sonata by Schubert, it's a different piece in Young's Temperament. There's
also some places in Scenes from Childhood by Schumann that make me think
that he was aware of the way the thirds sound. Sometimes a more dissonant
third followed by a milder third gives the impression of resolution that
just disappears in ET. Chopin is a bit beyond my playing ability and I
don't quite understand what he was up to yet.
For me anyway using different Temperaments is an interesting way to open my
ears a bit.
By the way, I'm sure that there are many interesting things about digital
keyboards, I'm just too busy trying to figure out the old fashioned kind to
be interested in them.