prepaired concert piano

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:06:03 -0700

    First of all, Demand, and I mean demand!, that the performer wash =
his/her hands the same way a surgeon would before touching the strings. =
Secondly, if you're going to try to clean the strings afterwards, the =
plain wire I would probably rub with a cloth with a very little amount =
of CLP on it. On the wound strings, you're really going after the high =
points on the windings, because you can't really get your fingers =
anywhere else, and I might be tempted to rub them with a cloth that has =
some solvent like alcohol on it. Not sopping wet, you don't want any =
liquid getting into the windings, just barely damp to the feel.  Use =
quick back a forth motions with very little pressure.=20
    That's how I'd do it, anyway.=20

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: baoli liu=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 9:51 AM
  Subject: prepaired concert piano

  Hi list,

  a pianoist is going to play some morden music next
  week on one of our concert pianos,he is going to plug
  the stings by fingers.

  I know some technicians sugested to shift another
  piano(usually older one) for prepaired pianoist.I am
  thinking the possibility to clean the strings after
  the concert.For me, cleaning strings is easier than
  moving concert pianos around.

  my question is what is the best way to clean strings?

  Thanks!

  Baoli