silicone lube

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:37:23 EDT

"Regular Naptha?"  What is that?  All I have ever found is VM&P Naptha, and I
keep some in my kit as well as Protek CLP.  I'll have to check if our local
Sherwin-Williams still carries gallon cans.  I use it frequently.

First I was taught to mix naptha with mineral oil.  Didn't like the oily look
after treating an action.  I find plain (VM&P) naptha often is all that is
needed to free gummed up vertical hammer flanges such as in Baldwins, etc.
made during the '70's.  Naptha is 'way cheaper than Protek.  I've never seen
"regular" naptha (or any other kind) at Lowe's but have used their mineral
spirits in a pinch (cheaper still).

I bought some of the silicone from Baldwin, used some, the rest is
languishing on a shelf.  I just feel a little more secure with Protek.  Maybe
I'll order some goose juice and give it a try on the several Steinway M's I
service yearly--if you know what those from the 1920's are like.

Bill Maxim, RPT
Maxim Piano Service
Columbia, SC