Foundry Castings

Tue, 27 Aug 2002 23:29:22 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Ford" <fordpiano@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 27, 2002 7:22 PM
Subject: Re: Foundry Castings

<lclgcnp@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Internal damping is good becasue we don't need
> > a plate
> > with any portion of it having a specific
> > resonance
> > augmenting a specific partial series, right?
>
> Maybe.  I'm not sure.

The production and prototype pianos I have worked with using steel plates
have not had a problem with spurious resonances.

> > Broadwood
> > used steel on their "barless grand" why not ask
> > them
> > why it is no longer built?
>
> I think it has more to do with business than with the plates that they
used.
> I've seen some of these barless grands and think they have a nice sound.
I've
> long thought that their barless idea was a good one and deserves more
> investigation.

I agree. Except the barless Broadwood I was able to examine at length did
not sound all that great. It's scaling was pathetic. But the concept was
interesting and quite workable.

Del