Foundry Castings

Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:02:16 +0200

David Ilvedson wrote:

> I would think that several of the leading manufacturers...Yamaha, for example
> would have researched this and come the conclusion that cast iron is the best
> material for job.  Cost included.  The material would have to be easy to machine/grind etc.
> What could take its place?
>
> David I.

I would agree one hundred percent with this observation David. Not that I dont take the point
about being willing and ready to ask pertainent questions about existing proceedures mind you.
But to be willing also to see that there are actually others out there in the industry who are
doing just that, for example Yamaha as you mention below.

As with soundboard materials, other things have been tried and were found wanting. That doesnt
mean that these same materials couldnt be successfully used, but it does mean there are already
a few strikes against them.

Still, its good to have folks who are willing to try out new things. And not a few have
wondered from time to time if the iron plate could be exchanged with something else. The darn
things are heavy for one thing, and they are not as cheap as they once were.  New materials are
poping up all the time... who knows ??

RicB
--
Richard Brekne