how many pianos...?

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 02:17:20 -0700

>     And it is really not in their interest to
>fine-regulate instruments prior to sale. They will be
>going to disparate climates all over the world,
>purchased largely by people with "tin-ears" for snob
>appeal and status symbols. If they sounded like Winter
>spinets, a lot of these buyers would be equally
>satisfied!!!!!!!
What a horrible context, even if partially true. Very cynical.
Anti-excellence.
>     As it has been said: "Steinway still makes a good
>piano if you work with it for a couple of weeks".
Many pianos, of all brands, including the famous hand-makers and the two
leading Japanese makers, can be made to function better with:
1) if indicated, Stanwood/Hardesty/McMorrow-based leverage point and
weight distribution changes, and
2) world-class prep by a gifted, musically oriented technician.
>     Fine regulating prior to sale would only drive
>the price up, in an already battered piano market.
Poppycock.  ALL other "fine pianos" are  finely regulated and
prepped----to the limit of  the people in the factory doing it---before
they hit the store floor, and they're shipped all over the world as well.
 Just an excuse for lack of passion and commitment, IMO.
>     The best pianos, "out of the box" that I have
>ever played are Schimmels, hands down!  And I prefer
>them to Boesendorfers. The tone seems more manageable,
>the actions more responsive. Wonderful pianos!
Well.  We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Every head is truly a planet........

David Andersen