May the 4ths be with you

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 06:31:13 EDT

In a message dated 8/27/02 3:53:10 AM Central Daylight Time, kjones@well.com
(Keith Jones) writes:

> I had my piano tuned
> to a Young's Temperament for quite awhile and really enjoyed the variety of
> sounds, mostly the thirds of course. I have the feeling that the composers
> from before 1900 were aware of the colors of the keys and were quite crafty
> about exploiting the potential of both the more consonant and the more
> dissonant keys. The music I like to read through is mostly Bach, Beethoven,
> Schumann, Schubert the usual suspects. Try the first chords of The G major
> Sonata by Schubert, it's a different piece in Young's Temperament. There's
> also some places in Scenes from Childhood by Schumann that make me think
> that he was aware of the way the thirds sound. Sometimes a more dissonant
> third followed by a milder third gives the impression of resolution that
> just disappears in ET.

I'm glad to read of your experiences but believe me, not everyone perceives
these things in the same way.  One technician wrote to me that upon trying
the very same music in the same temperament, both he and his pianist wife
were repulsed by it and couldn't wait to get the piano "back into tune".

It seems to me that a very few people really are used to and only like ET.
Everyone else can talk about their experiences but the ones who insist upon
ET will always be able to make their opinion prevail.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin