silicone lube

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 06:30:47 -0500

>WD40 IS silicone formulated, and around here
>( Georgia ) slobbering it all over actions seems to be
>a favorite pastime. It seems to initally free the
>action, then seize it up as it gets increasingly gummy
>and thick. I admit that my evidence is purely
>circumstantial, but has been confirmed by other techs
>and dealers who handle 100's of pianos.

As I said, I agree that WD-40 has no business being anywhere near a piano
action, but it is a petroleum derivative, containing no chlorofluorocarbons
or silicone. None - according to what's printed on the can. And while being
entirely different stuff, neither WD-40 nor silicone are hygroscopic and
there is no evidence that I've ever heard of that silicone gums up actions.

Ron N