Foundry Castings

Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:18:13 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Ford" <fordpiano@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 28, 2002 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: Foundry Castings

> Perhaps I should rephrase that.  The ones that I have seen have all been
small
> ones (around 5' 2" or so).  They had a nice sound for a small piano, as
good
> as many other small pianos that I have seen.  I didn't notice any strange
> sounds that I attributed to the plate.

Nor did I. The plate portion of the design seemed to work quite well. The
piano was (according to the owner) quite stable.

> And it did have the benefit of not
> having a deterioration in tone near the plate struts, which I believe was
the
> main reason for this design.

The instrument I examined closely had gaps where the bars would have gone
had there been bars to accomodate action brackets. These gaps were not as
wide as they would have been had bars been there but they were gaps all the
same.

> I know they built several larger models (I think
> up to 8' or so) but I have not seen one.  I'd like to have a look at one.
> do think it's an interesting idea, even if these specific pianos built
with
> this idea aren't the greatest.

I was of the impression that they made up to a full concert grand. One of
the traditional books--I don't remember which--has pictures of something
about that size. Also of the vertical.

The other problem--aside from the scaling--was the overall build quality.
The plate was pretty rough; much like the Aeolian M&H plates of the 1970s.
Perhaps its a sign--when the plate finish gets rough the piano maker is in
for rough times.

Del