Foundry Castings

Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:38:12 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robin Hufford" <hufford1@airmail.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 28, 2002 9:55 AM
Subject: Re: Foundry Castings

> What is the Currier Strataphonic String Panel?  The name alone seems
> sufficiently impressive that it should have been continued in production.
> Regards, Robin Hufford

I quote:

    "The Strataphonic String Panel is a structural support system that
utilizes modern technology and advances piano construction into the 21st
Century. The use of similar support systems in the aircraft, aerospace and
construction industries verifies its strength and reliability.
    "The SSP is a precision engineered structure fashioned by bonding
special alloy steel plates to selected core materials. Computer machined
steel is sandwich or strata constructed in layers to withstand greater
tension and deliver many times the yield strength of conventional studios."

The 'selected core materials' were mostly MDF with conventional pinblock
stock used up where the pinblock would normally be. The panel was made in
one large unit with those areas cut out that didn't belong in a piano
'structural support system.'

I have one of the original brochures. I'll see what I can do about scanning
it into some form that can be e.mailed if anyone is all that interested.

Del