Schaff - The continuing saga!

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:35:08 -0700

All,
If you are not aware of it, Schaff has acquired APSCO. They then had to get
all the merchandise out of the building immediately, as the new owner wanted
to occupy it ASAP! Yikes! This has and will be causing a great deal of
confusion, etc. with Schaff. Especially, if you ordered from APSCO, before
all this took place! Don't even ask me how I know this. :-(
The main reason I'm even bringing this up, is that we all know that the same
"named" item(s) in the two companies, were quite often different in specs.
For example, I ordered some Medium Thick Back Rail Clothe from APSCO. This
has been, traditionally .190" thick. The order was processed by Schaff from
their stock. The "Medium Thick Back Rail Clothe" they sent me is
.210"!!!!!!!! Yikes! That's .010" thinner than APSCO's "Thick Back Rail
Clothe"!
A while back, I had a conversation with Ed Schadler about this felt. He said
that his supplier no longer made some of the sizes we are used to, because
of a small turnover.
Just be aware of the discrepencies in thicknesses of your various felt
products and order carefully.
I know that this is not Schaff's fault, but simply a change in the felt
industry standards of labeling.
It is my sincere hope that Schaff gets this whole merger thing sorted out
quickly. Also, I sincerely hope, (NO I PRAY), That they will continue
offering those dissimilar products that were from APSCO. Such things as the
Hale products, screws of all assortments in steel/brass/nickle plate,
different sized shim stock for soundboards, etc., etc.
I could go on forever in this vein, but I won't.
Let's all hope that this thing shakes out OK!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)