Mute Rails

Piannaman@AOL.COM Piannaman@AOL.COM
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 01:57:51 EDT

In a message dated 8/27/02 7:33:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
kam544@gbronline.com writes:

> >> A customer wishes a mute rail installed. I've done the standard
>> "rinky-tink" type that Schaff stocks. Anyone have experience with the type
>> Pianotek sells? It attaches to 2 tuning pins.
>
> >> Philip Jamison Pianos
>
> >> West Chester, PA
>

> Philip, List,
>

> I have had excellent results customizing my own out of 1/2" aluminum stock
> (hardware store), thin white muting felt (piano supply house) and an
> automobile choke cable kit (need I say where to purchase  :-).
>

> Since each piano requires its own configuration, certain action and inner
> case measurements must be taken. After that, a little bending (vise &
> hammer), cutting (hacksaw) and gluing the felt to the rail, you can
> position the finished product in the most ideal location (very close to the
> strings when down, & clearing the hammers when up).
>

> Then by drilling two holes to mount the aluminum rail on the sides of the
> piano cabinet with screws and shims (sometimes needed), you will achieve
> great muting capabilities and hardly notice it at all when it comes to
> touch.
>

> About the only side effects are the felt will sometimes brush up against
> the neighbor notes (in the down position) producing a very minor inharmony
> (it's actually an endearing sound to my ears). But hey, what the heck, I'll
> guarantee you'll never try the commercial products again once you have
> success in making your own.
>

> If you're not up for the task of creation, the one that mounts on 2 tuning
> pinsz will work.

List,

I've done the same thing, using the sticks used to hold down actions during
shipping and the cloths used as keyboard covers that many manufacturers send
with pianos.  Pretty cheap, really easy.  I just let the stick rest on the
nose bolts, and the felt hangs down between the hammers and the strings.
Rather rudimentary, but effective.  Never had a complaint!

Dave Stahl