Foundry Castings

Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:37:39 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Ilvedson" <ilvey@sbcglobal.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 28, 2002 11:10 PM
Subject: Re: Foundry Castings

> I guess I've got to wonder would it make a bit of difference in the
outcome of the piano?  Would a steel, ceramic whatever plate be worth it?

> David I.

Obviously, I think steel is worth the trouble and expense. Our steel plates
will be somewhat more costly than comparably sized cast gray iron plates.
(Of course, I don't have to make [or pay for] a plate pattern either.) As
with most things, the high cost is primarily due to our anticipated very low
volume. In high volume--with the appropriate (expensive) equipment--the cost
of the steel plate becomes much more competitive. In any case I think the
advantages of steel outweigh the added cost of fabrication.

And, in my opinion, the relative lack of damping in steel is a decided plus.
I don't particularly want the plate absorbing all that energy from the
strings. Which is exactly what happens with the high damping factor of gray
iron.

I don't know enough about working with ceramics to hazard even a wild guess
about what one would cost. If I win the lottery I'll try one out. (Oh...do I
have to buy a ticket to do that?)

Del