Broadwood Rectangular Tuning tip

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:07:10 EDT

Lance,

I've had such a tip for years--I think it was called "oblong."  From Hale.  I
found it very inconvenient to place on the pin since there are only two
positions--180 degrees apart--that it will fit when the tip is screwed onto
the tuning hammer head.

My solution was to remove the tip from the head and instead screw it onto the
square adapter that was available.  It has a male thread to fit the tip, and
extends out from it with roughly the shape of a square tuning pin.  Whenever
I tune a piano with oblong pins, I place the tip/adapter onto the pin, then
my hammer with standard star tip onto the adapter.

It is not a perfect solution in that extra moves are required, and the tuning
hammer will not stay in place when I let go; but it does get around the
problem of finding an acceptable tuning position.

Bill Maxim, RPT
Maxim Piano Service
Columbia, SC