Temp. comparisons:

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:54:39 -0500

From: Richard Brekne

> Well.. I dont know about you folks, but I could hear almost
immediatly that
> this was waaaay off from ET. I just heard the quarter meantone
version   d  it was quite obvious to my hearing.

Yes Richard, that is the color ET killed.

> I have to admit that if piano tuners
> themselves dont hear this kind of thing right off then what am I
to think ?
> I mean that honestly and without the slightest thought of
criticism for
> anyone.... it just shakes my preception of things as they are if
it is true
> that musicians and tuners alike cannot hear immediately that
this is far
> away from ET.
> Must admit.... am a bit confused right now.

Its no biggie.  My theory is, perhaps some people are more
sensitive to it than others.  Meantone is not usually heard on
pianos so yes it should sound different.  Meantone is the one temp
furtherst from ET.  But practice a piece in it for 10 minutes and
see if you don't loose "perception" of it.  Stay close to C
though.  Play some Christmas Carols or folk songs and see if they
don't sound "sweeter".  The minors sound more minor.  Yes there is
a lot of character to Meantone.  Meantone by its self means 1/4
comma producing pure 3rds.  The others get into wider 3rds and
less of a wolf and towards WTs
    The discussions about "not hearing it" are usually WT vs ET.
Also..... truthfully I cannot hear it on that recording
because.... my soundcard is on the fritz.   But I have heard MT a
lot on my own piano, that is where it is tuned now.   It does give
the A major Prelude (Chopin )... well....a different
t.      ---ric