Temp. comparisons:

HazenBannister@cs.com HazenBannister@cs.com
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:40:25 EDT

In a message dated 08/30/2002 4:13:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

>  but how is that line up with
> formal ear training and music theory at University level. Just what is
> it they are teaching these people ?

Hi,
  I think this falls into the same kinda thing as the perfect pitch thread I
posed a while back.You learn different intervals in ear training, and
different relationships, not so much how they are tempered.I guess
most musicians I have run across,are more interested in the overall
performance of the piano,and the execution of the piece,than what temperment
the piano is in,given that the piano is in some kind of good tuning.I enjoyed
the different temperments at the Chicago convention,could I recognize them
now by hearing again,most definitely not.When I played thirds going up,it was
definitely different,as you said,that had to be noticed.But when I played a
piece,it sounded wonderful,but you couldn't put your finger on what was
different.
Just my rambling,
Hazen Bannister