Broadwood Rectangular Tuning tip

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 17:58:22 -0500

Thanks Bill.  I have that adaptor and will try it w/ the oblong tip.  I have
also ordered the hammer w/built in tip because I was told it fit the pins
much better.  I wonder what was used originally.  I have been given some
parts suppliers in Britain, too that I may try.  Thanks again.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
985.72P.IANO

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 9:07 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Broadwood Rectangular Tuning tip

Lance,

I've had such a tip for years--I think it was called "oblong."  From Hale.
found it very inconvenient to place on the pin since there are only two
positions--180 degrees apart--that it will fit when the tip is screwed onto
the tuning hammer head.

My solution was to remove the tip from the head and instead screw it onto
the
square adapter that was available.  It has a male thread to fit the tip, and
extends out from it with roughly the shape of a square tuning pin.  Whenever
I tune a piano with oblong pins, I place the tip/adapter onto the pin, then
my hammer with standard star tip onto the adapter.

It is not a perfect solution in that extra moves are required, and the
tuning
hammer will not stay in place when I let go; but it does get around the
problem of finding an acceptable tuning position.

Bill Maxim, RPT
Maxim Piano Service
Columbia, SC