Hygrometer

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 11:01:26 EDT

In a message dated 8/30/2002 4:38:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
gnewell@ameritech.net writes:

> Subj:Re: Hygrometer
> Date:8/30/2002 4:38:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net">gnewell@ameritech.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>              Greg

                    I know this question wasn't directed at me but let me
share an answer with you.
               In my setup I have a hot box I can store a few panels in. On
the door is a window and behind it is the radio shack temp and R.H gauge. In
side is a series of damp chasers and a small fan on the floor. On the outside
of the door I have a chart the tracks E.M.C. in relationship to R.H. ie   90
degrees f. nets  5% emc in spruce. This is a chart out of I believe the
governments wood book
   Any way if I want to be sure the board is suffienctly dry in modestly
humid weather I let it cook for three  days unless its been sitting in the
shop at 30% or less anyway. The fan circulating helps of course to enenly dry
all areas of the panel.
     The same result will happen under a blanket with a space heater too.
Nothing wrong with the way Ron does it and his other point about the rib set
being the most critical factor should be pondered as much as this current
question on emc.
     If your shop is humid without controls you'll want to rib the panel in
hour or so and don't answer the phone. If Rh is lower in the shop that's
different. My feeling is it takes a couple hours for the spruce to take on
insuffiecnt moisture to significantly change the outcome of your rib crowned
project.
     Remember the conditions which many soundboard were pressed up in the
Piano factories on the East coast were archaic at best. The zero EMC in the
winter and 80% with high temps in the summer. In your worst day in your shop
you'll all do better than that.
   It sounds like there is a search for parameters in this discussion which
is important and when found will keep us from having undue  anxiety in the
board making process.
   Best____Dale Erwin