comparing temperaments

Sat, 31 Aug 2002 19:16:38 +0200

A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

>  If I remember correctly, Richard earlier wrote that his original version
> of this tuning turned out to be something else, and since the mathematical
> description,(via offset numbers) has been in a state of flux, so far, it is
> difficult to tell exactly what is being tuned.  The author has been
> consistent in stating that machines can't correctly create it without direct
> supervision, thus, this temperament, as tuned by anyone else, is not a known
> quantity like our offset tunings with Jorgensen numbers.  So, it is possible
> that the temperament in use is not what was originally intended.

Well, that may be.... but my point was simply that playing any piece at all it
was immediately and quite obviously apparent to me that we were not in ET
anymore, and that the close keys were more consonant then ET, and the remote keys
were more dissonant.  Now I didn't sit down and pick this tuning apart to see
exactly what was what, that kind of thing is still a bit down the road for me...
but I had, and still have difficulty in understanding how it is that so many
university level students of piano simply didn't notice a difference. Some even
after a couple years of playing on this still dont get it.

>      In spite of the author's claim to have created "a new temperament which
> retains the true "colors" or tonality known in the past", the EBVT, as
> described, cannot do that, since, unless we accept that this form was common,
> it can't be expected to support 18th or 19th century composers' intentions
> with such atypical alignment of the intervals.

Oh boy...grin.... here we go.

>   You(RicB) may be surprised if you were to change that temperament to
> something that is more along the lines of historical record, to say, the
> Broadwood tunings, or even Moore & Co.(which is mild).  A more supportive
> alignment values might be noticed by the students.

Ok.. I will do just that. In fact... I will allow you to suggest exactly what
temperment to tune, tho I will have to rely on RCT to execute it with, any aural
tips you can supply in addition would be nice. I doubt tho that our students
reaction will change unless we get very far away from ET indeed. But the
experiment will be well worth while, and perhaps contribute in some small way to
our temperament disscussions.

Cheers !

RicB

--