Sitting Under The Piano OT

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 01 Dec 2002 06:17:30 -0500

Friends,

Now that we've moved from listening to the piano to listening to a
performance group, I'll comment on that.

Usually band/orchestra/choir members enjoy the performing, but they rarely
get to hear the rest of the group as the audience does.  I am directing a
small (19 members) church choir for a Christmas musical.  Last week during
rehearsal I had them stand in a circle and not beside anyone singing the
same part, so they could hear all parts.  That can be a splendid
experience when all you've heard before are the other singers on the same
part.  When I directed high school choirs, I used to pull a couple kids,
one or two at a time, out of the group so they could stand by me to hear
the whole group.

As part of our Christmas program the whole audience will sing some carols
standing around the edge of the church.  Each person's contribution is the
same as if they were all sitting in the pews, but the aesthetic experience
is entirely different and, in my opinion, much better!

Regards,
Clyde