Febreeze on piano parts?

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 14:19:47 +0100

I take off my hat ! imagination win !

But I still don't know how the product works, and feel it lock our smell
more or less.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG
  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Jon Page
  Envoye : dimanche 1 decembre 2002 14:12
  A : Pianotech
  Objet : Re: Febreeze on piano parts?

  At 04:40 PM 11/30/2002 -0500, you wrote:

    Hi,
    In speaking with a customer he happened to mention that he decided to
spray Febreeze on the hammers and the dampers on his grand piano (an old,
privately purchased musty & dusty grand).  I would expect that he just
sprayed through the gaps in the strings as I am sure he wouldn't have known
how to take any of it apart.  After recommending that he not spray anything
on the inside of the piano he assured me that it was "fine"...."Febreeze is
a light mist and evaporates..."

    I am curios as to what potential damage he has caused to the action or
strings?  And would you expect any resulting damage to show up immediately
or over time?

    I guess I am constantly amazed at what people will do to their
pianos...kind of like the guy who decided to polish all the copper strings
with Brasso the day after delivery.

    Thanks in advance for your replies.

    ~Lanie

  I have sprayed a goodly amount onto a cloth and placed it a container
  and placed it on the plate and closed the lid.

  After a few days the musty odor was not there.

  Regards,

  Jon Page,   piano technician
  Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
  mailto:jonpage@attbi.com