90--110 DB (very OT)

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 15:23:33 -0500

Hi Richard,

> Was this a sound system for an large venue?

No, actually for a very small venue -- a 4' x 4' "anechoic" chamber used for
research purposes.  The subjects?  Frogs. <shrug>

>  I have always
> wondered if audible resultants can be gotten from supersonic
> frequencies.  While standby once I was talking to a sound
> technician about it.  Just as he said "come on lets find out",
> they said the piano was ready.  So I have been "standing by" ever
> since for another opportunity to find out.
> For example, would the frequencies of 20,440 and 20,000 give a
> resultant of 440 ?

When two tones of slightly differing frequency are summated, there is a
*perceived* beat frequency equal to the difference of the two frequencies.
Each beat represents a complete "drift cycle" in which the two tones cycle
from adding constructively to adding destructively to adding constructively
again.  However there really isn't any acoustic energy at the difference
frequency.  That is, 20,440 plus 20,000 is nothing more than 20,440 plus
20,000.  Since both frequencies are beyond our sensory limits (for all
practical purposes), I don't think we would hear the beat frequency.  Of
course there could be some weird nonlinearities at play, in which case all
bets would be off.

Beat frequency detection is really a perceptual phenomenon that lets us
determine the periodicity (i.e. the fundamental) of a sound without energy
being present at the fundamental.  If we are presented with 400+500+600,
provided the relative phasing of these components doesn't drift, we hear
100.  This is called the "missing fundamental" effect.  Even with digital
filtration -- even with computational filtration -- the effect remains.
However, in order to experience this perceptual phenomenon, we must first be
able to hear 400-600 Hz.

Hope that helps!

Peace,
Sarah