piano at outside wall

Tony Caught caute@bigpond.com
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 23:34:09 +0930

Hi Clyde,

Yes.=20
Piano in Darwin, sun on the wall, outside temp is about 32 degrees C but =
direct sun on the wall is more like 45 Degrees C.  Tuning pins on a =
repinned piano are now loose, 5 ribs totally off the soundboard, action =
totally loose etc. All within 3 months of putting it there. The owner =
said its too hot to sit there so we thought because the piano has an =
iron frame it would be OK.
Piano in Alice Springs, temp drops to -4 C, humidity at 6 degrees C is =
5%, timber dried out, loose ribs, cracked soundboard, loose pins, glue =
(animal type) given away and tuning plank has pulled forward.
Piano left in a container in sun for 4 weeks. Enough.

Regards

Tony Caught
Darwin Australia
caute@bigpond.com

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 9:48 PM
  Subject: Re: piano at outside wall

  Friends,=20
  This request brings another question to my mind.  Has any one of us =
actually seen a piano damaged, or experienced tuning instability, solely =
because it was placed by an outside wall, above ground level?  Or is =
this a situation where common sense would say it is inadvisable but =
there is no proof?=20

  Regardless of answers I receive, I will still alert my clients to the =
potential problems of putting a piano there in an uninsulated house.=20

  I did find mold or mildew inside an old upright against an outside =
wall in a church basement, but I've found the same thing in a piano =
located on an inside wall on the main floor of an occupied house.  In =
both cases the humidity level was obviously too high somewhere along the =
line.=20

  Regards,=20
  Clyde Hollinger, RPT=20
  Lititz, PA, USA=20

  carpthos wrote:=20

    Dear list,    can you give  some suggestions for a customer`s =
following inquiry:            - in a 20 year old home she needs to put =
her piano on an outside wall (she doesn`t know if the home has inside =
and outside moisture barrier but says it has insulation).        - her =
question is:  - is there some type of buffer that can located between =
the piano and the outside wall to compensate for the piano having to be =
placed there?  e.g.- plywood                                             =
                                                     - cloth             =
                                                                         =
            - plastic