plate warping in 1877 Steinway B?

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:56:47 EST

In a message dated 02/12/02 8:44:47 AM, tune4@earthlink.net writes:

<<  If I clamp the front down tightly, the rear (tail) will

> raise about three inches (the new pinblock is exactly

> where the old one was). Is this normal? I was worried

> that bolting it down that much would stress the plate. Thanks.

Ron >>

Ron;
 Basically I agree with Paul's comments......... S&S is noted for having 'fly
away' tails vis a vis plates at the bass section... :-)
 It is not unusual in any manner for the tail to not fit down with the plate
web fasteners screwed in. The usual is anywhere from 3/4" to 1 1/4 "...though
I must admit to not remembering any as drastic as your 3" !
thingee..............
 If you are confident about your pinblock fitting/plate dowels then I would
fasten the plate web down.......then....starting at the treble end of the
plate perimeter install (finger tight) the plate fasteners in succession
until you arrive at the 'twisted tail'. then going back to the treble......
start tightening each in succession, just a little, and continue doing so
until you have all the fasteners down firmly even if this takes 4/5 trips
around the plate to do so.   Keep an eye on the 'flying tail' as you do the
tightening and you should be able to see the gap close quickly and
easily........again I have never dealt with this wide of a gap but I have
'heard' of other techs having such...............
Jim Bryant (FL)