90--110 DB (very OT)

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 00:17:57 -0500

At 3:23 PM -0500 12/1/02, Sarah Fox wrote:
>When two tones of slightly differing frequency are summated, there is a
>*perceived* beat frequency equal to the difference of the two frequencies.
>Each beat represents a complete "drift cycle" in which the two tones cycle
>from adding constructively to adding destructively to adding constructively
>again.  However there really isn't any acoustic energy at the difference
>frequency.

Would that be because the beat frequency only exists as a amplitude
fluctuation of the peaks of the "carrier frequency". This would get
to your "perceived frequency" as having now energy of its own.

This perception does get tricky. When one acoustical space is flooded
with say, two standing waves (for this discussion ignore all but the
fundamentals) of 440 and 442Hz, the summation process occurs in the
atmosphere with its alternating cancellation and reinforcement. The
result of this is heard by the human ear as a single pitch with an
amplitude pulsation of 2Hz of some single tone ("carrier frequency").
The human ear has no direct way of measuring that carrier frequency,
but a frequency counter capable of directly measurements would be
useless  because , in its precision, it would insist that there were,
yes two frequencies present in that one space.

My musical ear has no difficulty distinguishing between the two
pitches, assuming they are not played simultaneously (in which case
they sound like one, with a beat rate), but are played in series with
a close enough time interval to allow the memory on which my relative
pitch depends. But played together, my musical ear could not be
convinced that there way anything but one tone at play. Would this be
due to the fact that the summation of the two original tones is
instantaneous, and replaces these two with a third tone.

IWO, to my ears, would there be any difference between a single
440.5Hz pitch with a 2Hz pulse in its amplitude, and the result of
two tones, 440 and 441Hz in one physical space? I'd like to know how
a frequency counter hears this. Would it be able to point to two
discrete tones, or would it be paralyzed by its inability to resolve
on more than one frequency at a time.

>Beat frequency detection is really a perceptual phenomenon that lets us
>determine the periodicity (i.e. the fundamental) of a sound without energy
>being present at the fundamental.  If we are presented with 400+500+600,
>provided the relative phasing of these components doesn't drift, we hear
>100.

Is that because where these three frequencies are present, they in
fact are the 4th, 5th, and 6th partials of a 100Hz fundamental? Or
given any equally spaced trio of frequencies, will we hear the beat
frequency any way, whether or not the original frequencies are in our
hearing range, and whether or not the beat frequency itself is in the
pulse or tone range of our hearing?

So we are right back to Richard Moody's question.

I thinks it's time to hook up two tweeters each to its own frequency
generator, with an oscilloscope in between. Pick two original
frequencies well within the hearing range, say 10KHz and 10.44KHz.
(Their spread represents a comfortably audible frequency.) See if we
can hear a 440Hz tone. And if we can't hear it, can a microphone
plugged into an oscilloscope find it?

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"
     ...........Steve Martin