A440???

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:42:35 EST

In a message dated 12/3/02 7:06:52 PM Central Standard Time, JIMRPT@aol.com
writes:

> Wim it was adopted in 1917 as the Official Pitch by the American Federation
> of Musicians. It was adopted by the U.S. Government in 1920.
> 1925   on the 11th of June the American music industry adopted A440
> 1936   American Standards Association adopted A440
> 1939   At an international conference A440 was adopted.

You ask a simple question, and you get all sorts of answers. Thanks to all of
you who answered, and gave various points of view. The official answer is
1939. That is what is the question that will be asked on the written exam.

I agree with Richard's comments about what pitch orchestras tune at. I know
many of them have gone to 442, and I heard rumors that Vienna is at 445. But
until some sort of international conference changes the official number, we
have to keep plugging away at 440.

Wim