Laminated soundboard panels

Wed, 4 Dec 2002 08:51:22 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 04, 2002 4:41 AM
Subject: Re: Laminated soundboard panels

> I service a 1989 4' 11" Baldwin grand #B290249. I just tuned it again the
other day. I had posted on this one a while back - laminated board, ribs not
notched into rim, straight taper on ribs, fanned rib pattern, big bass
section,  bass bridge not connected to board on bottom few notes, bridge
curve opposite most, no hockey stick tenor bridge, etc., etc. Looked like
Del's finger prints all over this one.

> I measured it at 4' 11" (148 cm) - could be an inch bigger. I might assume
this is one of the ones you are referring to Del? Whereas this is a small
piano, and I doubt the Florida Orchestra would ever pick it as their
favorite, it really is quite a nice little piano. For the string scale size
of a spinet, it sounds like one of the nicest studio-sized pianos I have
ever heard. No killer octave and a smooth pass over the bass break.

> I just remember the inner rim to outer rim connection. Looked like some
clown went wild with a bunch of drywall screws under there. Real hack job -
but it seems to have joined the two pieces.

> Terry Farrell

Got it back down there, did they? Yes. That is the piano I was referring to.

Actually, the lowest bass string has the length of a 40" console. My own
fault, really. I'd been doodling with some numbers and, during one of the
planning meetings, observed that I could probably make the length A-1in the
small grand the same length as that of the 40/42" console. All of the
marketing eyes lit up and from that point on it was a done deal. I later
tried to make it a bit shorter but was over-ruled.

Del