Tuning levers

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:24:06 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <Tvak@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: Tuning levers

> In a message dated 12/2/02 9:10:32 AM, tune4@earthlink.net writes:
>
> << I've
>
> recently switched to the small adjustable rosewood handled lever from
>
> Schaff.  >>
>
> I've been using that lever for 5 years now and have been happy with it.
> However, this past week I finally coughed up the money to buy one of Mike
> McClanahan's titanium shafted levers and have tuned 6 pianos with it so
far. I saw at the convention, with the handle culminating in a ball at the
> end.  It gives me several different ways to comfortably grip the handle,
> which helps defeat fatigue.
>
> I've read about the advantages of titanium shafts here on the list
(lighter,
> stiffer).  From my limited experience, it's true.  If you're considering a
> new tuning lever, try one with a titanium shaft.
>
> Tom S

Tom
I've tried the titanium levers during a class at a regional in St Louis.
They have a great feel.  Making my own titianium lever has intrigued me
since. I do use the adjustable feature of the Schaff and old lever, but find
that the usual working length is about the same for each paino. I just
inhereted my Dad's metal lathe and have a few projects like this (and a fly
tying vise) lined up to enjoy.

Paul Chick