audible resultant from two supersonic frequencies?

Mick mick@laughinggravy.net
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:51:08 -0000

>>The question is,  are there AUDIBLE resultants, which is a sound
>>we CAN HEAR, that is produced from two frequencies we can't hear
>>such as 20,440 - 20,000 hz which gives on paper 440 hz  or A440
>>which certainly we can hear.

I've done this experiment using Soundforge to generate two sinewaves (20k
and 20,440hz)-and then mixed them in a CoolEdit multitrack session. Apart
from noise which I guess is due to my cheap soundcard, 440hz is clearly
audible in the resultant waveform. I can post this (as a small .wav or mp3)
to the list if anyone is interested....

Mick Danby

"...It is the reasonless soul, not the will or wisdom, that is beguiled by
music - a form of sorcery which raises no question, whose enchantment indeed
is welcomed..." -Plotinus