rear string lengths

Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:59:43 -0800

  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: December 05, 2002 4:38 PM
  Subject: Re: rear string lengths

    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: David Love=20
    To: Pianotech=20
    Sent: December 05, 2002 4:24 PM

    Should the backscale length be taken into consideration when setting =
down bearing?  Since a shorter backscale doesn't allow as much freedom =
of movement for the bridge, would you, then, consider reducing the =
bearing on a piano, or section, that had a shorter backscale, and vice =
versa?  Is there some formula or general rule of thumb for this.

    David Love

      Yes. Conventional wisdom tells us to set bearing very light in the =
bass. This is why. With the extremely short backscales commonly found in =
the low bass of modern pianos setting any kind of string deflection is =
going to tie the bridge/soundboard assembly down completely.=20

      With a backscale as shown above normal string bearing -- in this =
case about 0.5=BA string deflection -- is not only possible, but =
necessary.

      Del

------=_NextPart_001_006D_01C29C7F.B696A1E0
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...