rear string lengths

Thu, 5 Dec 2002 21:47:14 -0800

Re: rear string lengths
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: December 05, 2002 4:59 PM
  Subject: Re: rear string lengths

  We don't have the luxury of that much backscale length on the standard =
S&M, I mean S&S where zero bearing is the usual target.   I assume that =
is one of yours. =20
It's a M&H BB.

  I am curious about the bearing in the treble section as it relates to =
backscale length.  Minimizing the bearing in the bass is something I am =
aware of for the reasons you mention.  But what about in the treble.  =
Would you consider modifying the bearing there depending on backscale =
length?=20
Depends on what you mean by "modify." And what you mean by "bearing." I =
go by string deflection angles and adjust distance bearing to give me =
the string deflection angle I'm after. No, I don't vary that much at =
all. Unless I'm working on one of the S&S pianos with that ridiculously =
short tuned duplex backscale they used for a while. Then I back off =
some.

  And back to the question posted earlier and addressed to some degree =
by Ron O., what is the ideal backscale length for each section?  How =
much must the backscale length deviate from the ideal length before you =
would consider modifying the bearing (if you would)?
Well, I can tell you what I like to see back there, but as to whether or =
not it is ideal I can't really say. I'm not yet convinced there is an =
ideal. Probably more like an ideal range. Or, perhaps, an ideal for each =
type of scale -- long, short, high-tension, low-tension, etc. -- =
modified by the characteristics of the soundboard.=20

Generally I like to see (starting from the top of a typical 4-section =
scale) from 50 to 100 mm in the top section; from 75 to 150 mm in the =
next section down; from 150 to 200 mm in the tenor section; and whatever =
you can get in the bass. This depends a lot on what you want out of the =
bass and on how long the piano is. I'd be happy with 100 mm in a 150 cm =
grand but not in a 275 cm piano.=20

  And something else I've always wondered about, why, on many pianos, do =
hitch pins in the treble and tenor of many pianos not follow the curve =
of the bridge, but seem to go in a zig zag sort of pattern?=20
A safety device to avoid setting up a stress line in the quite brittle =
gray iron casting.

Del