Octaves Testimonial

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:18:05 -0600

Interesting ... REALLY wish you'd left out your signature tag line-you =
know, as in "drop it."

Alan Barnard
Oil on the Waters from Salem, MO
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: SidewaysWell1713@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 8:19 AM
  Subject: Octaves Testimonial

  List,

  I got this testimonial this morning from a scientist who had =
discovered my webpage.  As it says in my website, I've been tuning my =
octaves this way for about 20 years.  I clearly remember Jim Coleman =
rushing up to me after the recital at the Convention in 1993 saying, =
"You've done something with the octaves.  I don't know what it is but I =
like it!".  From what Richard Brekne has written recently, I believe he =
is on to the same idea.

  Not everyone gets it though.  None of the ETD stretch programs can =
tune the octaves this way.  There is one individual out there who can't =
bear to see his name associated with his own words.  According to him, =
this way of tuning octaves "doesn't make sense at all".  He is actively =
trying to disallow me from quoting him by force.  I think it would be a =
lot easier if he just admitted that he might not know eberything there =
is to know.

  Here is what one visitor to my website had to say this morning:

  Your web site was an eye-opener or better an ear-opener!

  I am a scientist, a physicist, play piano for fun, not too good. =
However, I
  started to teach myself to tune the piano since I was 18 (that is =
almost 30
  years ago!). I did it always by ear but I only tuned my grandmother's
  upright and our Bluethner grand (which is in Germany). When I came to =
the
  US, I bought an electronic tuner, thought it would speed things up, =
since I
  almost every time had to 're-learn' how to tune and sharpen my ears'
  perception. Until then, by the way, I checked my tuning always by =
scaling up
  the large 3rds and 6ths. I found this out by myself, probably because =
my
  tuning wasn't that great and I need some other means of testing how =
well I
  did. It can easily happen to mistakenly made the 5th larger instead of
  smaller, as an example.

  Then I noticed that pure octaves aren't satisfying at all. Especially =
in the
  lower keys, I liked to spread the octaves, since there were other =
harmonics
  that were prominent in their beats, and the ear didn't mind a slow =
rolling
  octave. And therefore I dispised my electronic tuner.

  Then I became fascinated by the idea to use the 5th as a pure interval
  instead of the octave. I just fumbled a bit with this last week. =
However,
  the octaves take a beating, so I thought of maybe a compromise, then I
  stumbled upon your web site -> the 'ear-opener'!!

  I thank you so much to put this on the web, I will try your technique!

  Did you ever think of possible (psychological or whatever) effects of =
a pure
  5th (Pythagorean) tuning on the listener? It might require the 'right' =
music
  that avoids octaves, so you don't hear their beat too much. How about =
the
  RIGHT pitch, is A 440 what it should be, is there a better =
'fundamental
  tone' - the right frequency and can it be 'felt'?

  I am thinking about the human chakra system, there might be more =
behind
  this. I am not sure if you are into this - but since you figured all =
this
  great stuff out I wondered if there was more...

  With best regards,

  Stephan Fuelling, Ph.D.

  Bill Bremmer RPT
  Inventor of octaves which "don't make sense at all"