Tips & pins

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Sun, 08 Dec 2002 10:18:39 -0500

Hello, following the recent discussion on tuning levers and tip fit,
here is what I do:

First, I had my tuning lever head welded to my lever. I found that the
head and shaft thread connection was the weak link in the assembly
(found this out after my shaft broke and had to have it welded in a
hurry). But I carry about 4 tips in my toolkit and the tip wrench. I
use a karate kind of blow to the wrench to unscrew the tip. The thing
I like about this method is that I can VISUALLY inspect the tuning pin
to tip relation. When the tip is not on the head, I can see through
the tip the exact fit between the two parts. I will generally use the
tip that will fit tight the closest to the coil even if there is  a
rocking movement felt on the lever. Otherwise, I could have a solid
feel but the tip might just be tight on the upper part of the tuning
pin.

Just my 0.02$

Marcel Carey, RPT
Accordeur Technicien